Sunday, May 27, 2012

So that's what Comicpalooza is like

As I'm writing this, I have been home for less than an hour.  Comicpalooza is still in my ears, on my skin, and pressing into the soles of my feet.  I had not been inside the George R. Brown center before, so I was unaware that the whole lower floor is one huge room with partial walls to block sight and a little bit of sound, so the layout itself was a surprise.  There were wrestlers, rollerderby-ers, and tesla coils.  Wow.
Claudia's booth was on one of the dealer's aisles, and the next one was where they put all the VIPs who were signing autographs.  So if George Takei had leaned too far back in his chair, he would've fallen right through the pvc-framed fabric wall and into her lap.  (I don't think she would have complained)
There was a movie production company, Odyssee Pictures, right next to us, and if Michael Biehn had leaned back too far, he would've fallen into their booth.  They were playing trailers for some of their films, including 'Jacob,' 'Sweatshop,' and others that I'll have to check out.
The Manapunk booth was a couple of aisles down, and we checked on each other back and forth during the day, because when you're working a con, sometimes you're stuck at your booth for a while, and it's nice to have someone spell you for a few minutes when you need it.
There were costumes galore, including a black dalek, lots of Harley Quinns, two Batgirls right across the aisle from us, and Tank Girl and one of her Wallabees.  I was wearing my tiger-striped Yukata, which Claudia made for me and which got me invited to pose for a picture with some people in steampunk costumes.  I wasn't kidding about any of the attractions, either.  I never saw the wrestlers except when they were walking around, but every once in a while a nice woman in roller-skates would zip by handing out flyers on when the next match was scheduled.  They usually had names like 'Sweetie Todd' or 'Maul McCartney' on their uniforms.  I spent some time over at the A.R.M.A. display, and got to hear music from a band who played while GIGANTIC tesla coils were shooting lighting around everywhere on stage.  Again, wow.
Claudia was interviewed by a blogger, and the tape is on his Youtube channel, Bratac123.
Business was good, and now we're home for a couple of days.  Then we hit the road for A-kon.  Bit of a downer when I checked my e-mail, though.  Cutting block Press has passed on 'Mine.'  Oh well.  Any weekend where your wife gets the belly dancers who visit her booth to give you a hip swing or three is a damn good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment