Wednesday, October 12, 2011

WWSW

Which, of course, stands for 'What would Shakespeare write?'  I remember a conversation I had with my daughter, Maddy.  We were discussing 'Romeo and Juliet,' and she said that of course, she had read it.  She was in school, after all.
I remember my days of reading the same play, and how much fun I had when I was even younger than she is now listening to a vinyl record of 'Macbeth.'  The witches and the ghost scared the hell out of me, and during the summer when I had the time I would stay up late in the living room, listening to it over and over again.  The power of the play enthralled me, but I guess I was too young to get all the mature bits.  Growing up, I was told over and over again, in a thousand subtle ways, how the Bard's work was high art.
Then, I got my hands on one of the various Complete Works.  I still haven't read everything, but imagine how shocked I was as I went through 'Titus Andronicus.'  That stuff was raw.  I knew then why I had never seen that play in any schoolbook, and I hated every English teacher that I had ever had for cheating me of it.  They tried to educate me, but all they did was take a still image of something that lived and breathed, and scrub it and bleach it to make it clean and sanitary.  Then they served it up with pomp and circumstance and said, 'Isn't this beautiful?'
These were the plays people went to see for amusement, not enlightenment.  They were the primetime of their day.  If Shakespeare was around today, he'd be writing 'All my children' meets 'Saw.'

No comments:

Post a Comment