Thursday, October 6, 2011

First draft is done

It's done.  I finished the last chapter earlier today, and I got the last few paragraphs of the epilogue written while waiting for my meal at Outback.  The first draft of my first book is done.
I know there's a ton more work I'm going to have to put into it.  It has to be rewritten, and all the blank spots where I just put the main idea in brackets have to be fleshed out.  Plus I need resolve all the contradictions that I created when I was halfway through a chapter and thought, 'Wouldn't it be cool if I did it THIS way instead?'
I started this book a few years ago.  I can remember sitting in my room back at UTA and scribbling a few paragraphs, thinking how cool it would be to write a book.
If I'm honest, it's a big regret of mine that I didn't work harder at my writing back then.  I have no idea what Roja would look like if I had completed it, because so much of the book it filled with places and events that I only experienced later.  Maybe it would have been better, maybe worse.  Even if I didn't write my book then, I could have finished short stories.
This is what I want to do.  This is what I want to get up in the morning and think about while I'm eating breakfast.  This is what I see myself doing from this point on until I'm gone.
I already know which book is going to be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment