Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The home stretch

I'm working on the last chapter.  I've filled in a small gap in an earlier segment that I had left unfinished simply because I work on one at a time, on paper, and had tucked that one into my notebook and forgotten it.  Once I finish this chapter, the only thing left will be the epilogue.  I already know I'm going to let it sit and ferment for a bit before I start the rewriting, but just being able to type in the words, 'First draft is done,' will be pretty amazing.
I've done a couple of quick readings, and it's amazing how different the story is now form when I started.  I'll start a segment or a chapter one way, and in the middle I'll think, 'wait, what if --' and then make a left turn at Albuquerque.  Now all I have to do is finish the damn thing, and then rip through it from beginning to end and make sure it makes sense.  No problem, right?
Just like pulling teeth with a set of tweezers.

No comments:

Post a Comment