Monday, February 3, 2014

Getting better, and getting back to work

Well, after laying in bed for three weeks or so, it actually felt good to get out and hit my day job Thursday and Friday. Exhausting, but good. Coming home Friday I felt like I had worked forty hours straight, and was ready for another three weeks of recuperation.
It's slow getting back into 'In the Dark.' There are parts where I can see what it needs, but the words are coming out in a gradual trickle. I reread scenes that I've considered part of the foundation, and now I'm not as sure of them as I used to be. Worse, some parts do nothing, absolutely nothing. They don't grab me, advance the story, or even flow. What they feel like is damp paper that's been lying out in the rain because they fell out of a folder while I was thinking about something else. Yet you know what? I wouldn't trade one bit of it for pages of the same thing pressed in gold leaf, because they're mine, and because even if I end up plowing all of it up and starting over, it'll be the soil that the book grows from.
My wife and I were able to get out of the house over the weekend, despite a sudden drop in temperature and some rain. She hauled me out to go see 'I, Frankenstein,' which is not an intellectual movie, but was a heck of a lot of fun. I had read some reviews of it that were less than kind about the fact that the flick seems to recycle the plot from 'Underworld,' and it also sort of recycles Bill Nighy in a role similar to the one he played in that movie. But you know what? It was still a good watch. Sometimes it's nice to just let the higher parts of your brain relax and enjoy, as a friend of mine puts it, some “kicks and 'splodes.”
Still writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment