Monday, October 28, 2013

How lessons layer

I spent last night with an old friend that I hadn't seen in years. It's an episode of The Twilight Zone titled 'A nice place to visit.' Most of my childhood is a vague blur, but some stories, and the first moments that I spent with them, are with me every moment of my life. It doesn't matter if I read them or watched them, and truth be told a hell of a lot of them came from my many hours of watching TV.
The first time I saw this sad story about a man named Valentine I was lying on the floor of my aunt's apartment in Washington, DC. My mother, sister, and I were up there on vacation, and while seeing all the monuments and pieces of history was incredible, any time spent with my mother's sister was tense. Children didn't really fit in her world, either the physical one around her or in her head, and her reaction to me and my sister always seemed to imply that we were the problem. One that she took personally. To stay occupied and away from her, I watched almost as much TV that summer as I would have at home, and I was always on the lookout for magic.
Bits of magic that you find when you're young stay with you, and you feel them when you encounter more. Once you've seen a young, pretty girl tell a priest that his mother is performing intimate acts in hell, or seen a freckle-faced boy turn a man into a bobbing Jack-in-the-Box, well, your concept of children is going to be a little more complicated than the 'innocent and helpless' archetype that gets used so frequently.
If, after sampling this magic, you become inclined to start practicing your own, you tend to first want to duplicate what you've seen. If you paint, and it was Munch's 'The Scream' that made you pick up a brush, you're probably going to try to paint something that evokes the same feelings, and your first tools are going to be the colors, lines, and shapes that Munch used. If you see Criss Angel levitate or see Penn and Teller make the same card appear out of nowhere three or four times, those might not be the first tricks that you learn, but they will be milestones that you judge your own ability by.
Likewise, if you start telling stories, the stories that make the strongest impressions on you are going to be your handholds when you start that uphill climb.
See how cleverly I connected this back to that Twilight Zone episode? It's almost like I saw someone else do that bit of slight of hand and decided I could do it too, isn't it?
My opinion? Our minds don't grow like the bodies of a cat, cow, or chicken, producing new cells that are a little different each time and letting the old ones die, until we're left with something that only bears a resemblance to the original form but is obviously more advanced. My opinion? We grow like trees, keeping that first fragile growth and adding layer after layer on top of it. We grow like this as we learn more and push higher, becoming stronger to deal with what the world throws at us. We all carry everything we ever were inside us, and we still have all the dozens or hundreds of contradictory points of view that we ever developed. They are part of our inner structure whether we like it or not. A child who steps out into the deep end before they're ready and gets that cold, wet sensation of water trying to push itself over their lips and nose to drown them will carry that impression with them for the rest of their life. What will they do with it? There are infinite possibilities in infinite directions. They could do nothing and just have nightmares of opportunity every once in a while. Or they could develop it into a paralyzing phobia. Or they could get an attitude about it and learn to swim so well they compete professionally.
From what I can remember, I might have seen the ending of 'a nice place to visit' coming. That mocking, insulting laugh out of someone who had been nothing but cuddly and polite the whole time was the perfect, final touch. Every story I write that has a 'twist' ending where the hints have been provided, owe something to this tale. If I can provide for someone what was once given to me, I've done my job.
Some post-viewing research revealed that it was Charles Beaumont who wrote that story, and that he produced some other damn good ones too. It also showed the sad, unfair way that he died. In the end, he couldn't write.
That's going to stay with me. Think I'll go write.

No comments:

Post a Comment