Sunday, August 5, 2012

Challenge accepted, and met


Okay, I officially call wow on myself. That bit that I noted a couple of weeks ago about Stephen King being able write a short story in a few hours really stuck in my head. So on Saturday when Claudia and I went out for lunch, I took a notebook and pen with me. As we ate, I started scribbling on an idea that had come to me a while back, about a guy who stays young-looking. I didn't stop to talk or look around or anything else.
I had it halfway done by the time we left, and I picked it back up when we got home. I finished an hour later. At about 2800 words, it's short, which is good. Shorter means it has more markets that I can send it too.
I've hit the point on Roja where I've got to start chopping some of the old stuff, the good, squirmy images and concepts that I came up with long ago. It has to be done to make the whole book cohesive with how I've decided it ends. I think that somewhere earlier I explained that I started writing this beast years ago, only to put it on hold until I got some short stories published in order to get my name out to the public first. The plan was I could take the finished book to a publisher and say, 'This'll make you money. See, people are already reading my stuff.' Hindsight being ever so clear, that might have been a mistake. Of course, when I actually read those older paragraphs and scenes, the writing is crap. So maybe it wasn't.
I don't want to just throw all that original stuff away, so I'm going to save the whole book with a new file name, and then wade into that fucking thing with a machete.
I've already decided what book is going to be next: The Red Man Burning
Can't wait to write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment