Wednesday, May 18, 2011

On seeing 'Priest.'

Okay, I'll admit I was nervous about seeing it.  The trailers promised so much, and they seemed to be pushing into every single level of epicness that exists.  It's about vampires, and they're scary.  Hell, the vampires aren't even human, and they never were.  The cities are nightmares of steel and propaganda, and everything else is wasteland.  The church is the only authority that exists.  Everything I saw in the trailers inspired that most dangerous emotion, hope.
They pulled it off.  As I'm writing this, it's been three days since I saw it, and I've had time to let that initial rush settle.  All the cool fight scenes and witty one-liners have found their places on the endless shelves within my head.  I've been to work, and I've thought about a million other things.  When I think of 'Priest,' my first feeling is the desire to see it again.
After my wife and I had bought our tickets online and were looking around on the web, we found some of the graphic novels that the film is based on. (on Amazon) From the descriptions, it seems that the writers might have altered the storyline a bit, which only makes me want to start reading the novels.  I can't remember which, but there is one with a short bit where it looks like one of the villians/creatures comes calling on the artist himself, and, among other things, asks him if he believes in God.
All in all, worth the time.  Without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment