Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Back from my first World Horror Con

And what a Con it was.  I got to meet a lot of great people, have a ton of fun, and attend Brian Keene's seminar for writers.  I went in my 'Stranger' tee shirt, and provoked some giggles when I went around offering candy. (Smarties, the best) What surprised me is how many people didn't glance twice at the shirt when I did it, they just thought I was giving out sweets.  Of course, the looks on their faces when I pointed it out to them were priceless.  Especially Jack Ketchum.
Brian Keene's seminar, and the panels he was on, opened my eyes quite a bit.  He really got into the business aspect of the profession, and on a panel entitled 'How much do we make,' he was the only one with the balls to actually come out and state a dollar amount.  I think he was trying to get the other panelists to do the same, but they quietly shifted the conversation elsewhere.
There was a mass signing event, and I was able to thank David Nickle for writing Monstrous Affections, and afterward I sat in at a reading by some of the folks from Shroud Magazine.
All in all, more than worth it.  The swag bag alone had a ton of books and other cool stuff.  I'm already making plans to attend next year's Horror Con.

No comments:

Post a Comment