Sunday, July 27, 2014

How to become a mechanic, whether you want to or not.

If you've been a reader here for any length of time, then you've heard me rant a bit about the summers here in Houston and their poor manners. They give you plenty of notice that they're coming, true. But they show up at exactly the worst time possible, bring uninvited friends like humidity and bugs, and often stay a lot longer than they were supposed to. When they finally leave, it's with a sincere promise to be back next year.
Just the right time for a surprise issue with a car, right?
While driving around town yesterday, Claudia noticed the battery light come on. We headed for home, and crossed our fingers. Then we muttered under our breath as the gauges and displays started shutting off and turning back on. Finally we both cursed loud and long when the engine died, at a red light. When the light turned green, the honking began.
I hopped out and tried to wave cars past so we didn't end up receiving a rear-end collision, while calling a number for a twenty-four hour towing service. I got a recording saying they weren't open, and started wondering how long I could stand there waving my arms before somebody paid more attention to their cell phone than to me and sandwiched me between two automobiles. By luck, a guy drove by who was a mechanic, and who had a tow chain in his van. He hooked up, and while Claudia rode with him and gave directions, I stayed in out car and tried to brake at the right times, (you have to keep the chain tight, or it can get chewed up from dragging on asphalt) remembering why I hate trying to steer any vehicle that has no power. If you've never done it, don't. It's like wrestling with a tree.
One trip to Auto Zone later, I spent a long, miserable time figuring out everything that needed to be done to hook up my new battery. I've done it before with the vehicles that I drove in the Corps, but that was a few years ago. When everything was put back together, the car seemed to be working. Until I drove it today, that is. The battery light came on again and I drove back as fast as I could, imagining having to push the car a mile or so by myself in the same heat. So now I have an early trip to our mechanic planned, first thing in the morning.
Well, if worst comes to worst, I can always use the experience in a story, once I get the situation fixed in real life. Oh, bit of irony? I have royalties coming, but they're in such a small amount that I asked to just receive a copy of the book so I can hand it out or use it for a display at a convention. Which book? Why, 'Hard Luck', of course.
Enough miserating. Time to get back to writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment