Monday, May 19, 2014

It's in my hands

On my way home from work today, I stopped off at Barnes and Noble. I had put in an order a few days ago, and it finally arrived. I walked in and, after getting distracted in the movies section, headed to the counter to pick up my books.
My books.
They belong to other people too, of course. Steve Berman's name is on the covers, where it should be, because he's the one who put out the call for stories, sifted through what was probably a deluge of them, and went through the whole process of turning all our crazy ideas into a book. Richard Bowes's name is on top, followed by Pat Cadigan. There are others, including Tanith Lee,and 'AND MORE...' at the end of the list.
I'm part of that 'AND MORE.' I found my name in the table of contents, and flipped through the book to find 'Dirty.' There it is. But now I'm reading it on paper that someone else printed, in a mass of folded and glued paper, that was put together by a professional printing company. This is my book. There are many like it, but this one is mine. Be glad you're not in the room with me, because I'm discovering that I cackle whenever I look at it. Yep, cackle is the word for it.
So after I post this, I'm going to take a sheet of paper and go downstairs to watch 'Suspiria.' It's what distracted me as I walked in the store, and while I watch it, I'll keep rewriting the last scene in 'In The Dark.' I expect to be cackling while I do it.
That book contains my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment