Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Another step

So, two days after my last post I got an interesting e-mail. A while back I had submitted a fun little story to another anthology that a different company was putting together. This story I had actually talked to my daughter about a few days ago, and I ended up describing it as part noir, part drama, and part creepy crawly. I'm still pounding at In the Dark, and was only sending things out to keep my foot in the dark, murky waters of story submissions. They can be a pretty treacherous place, and if you don't stick a toe in every once in a while you're likely to hit a rock or an unexpected deep spot when you really need things to go smoothly. I only stick a toe in because it's wise to not put anything in that you're not prepared to lose.
Then I got the e-mail. My story was accepted.
Remember how I described how it didn't feel real when Dirty got accepted? Yeah, again. The pay situation will be different this time, so I still won't be walking into work tomorrow with a lemon meringue pie to surprise my manager with. But this is another bit of polish on my 'brand,' another tool I can use when I go stalking the wild literary agent in its native habitat. This is me feeling maybe a little bit less like a pretend writer, and a maybe a step closer to making my living as one.
Other than that, the weekend was too short, as they always are. Convention season looms, and the wife and I are making plans to run her booth at some. Houston weather is heating up, and I'm already missing winter.
As soon as I get the okay, I'll post the name of the book company, and the name of the anthology. Heck, if you live anywhere near Texas you'll probably hear me singing the name of it from my roof. Friends and family who have heard my, shall we say -striking- singing voice can tell you that it leaves an impression on the listener as they run away as fast as they can.
Still writing? Oh hell yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment