Sunday, September 8, 2013

The principle of Newton's Cradle as applied to a kick in the head

You all know what I'm talking about, right? That cool desk top toy with four or five steel balls suspended in a frame. You lift one at either end and let it drop. When that ball hits the others the energy is transmitted right through them, and the one at the far end swings out, falls back, and so on back and forth.
Now we're going to get into a bit of a rant here, but that's okay because -
A: this is my blog, and I can do whatever I damn well feel like with it, and
B: this ties into writing. Everything ties into writing.
My wife, who busts her backside at anything and everything she does, got 'let go' from her job the other day. It seems she finished an assignment (not her first), and was told they didn't need her anymore.
I love my wife. Take that as fact. You may also take my statement that she is not the sort of person to be satisfied with 'just doing her job' as a fact. Once she gets her feet under her, which doesn't take very long, she ends up finding better, stronger, faster ways of doing the work. This is part of the reason that no matter what the explanation, I'm not on the side of the people who cut her loose. Just not going to happen.
Now we come back to writing. I've read a lot of books over the years. Some were good, some were bad, and some were so bad that the publisher should have been sued and forced to plant more trees to replace the paper that was wasted printing the books. One of the factors in the latter is that the stories feel like they're taking place on a stage somewhere in an abandoned theater, being played by people who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag. The characters have no real passion. They have no spark as individuals, and they don't have that interactive spark that could make us identify with them as a group. When one of them yells, their next door neighbor doesn't bang on the wall, call the police, or come over to see what's wrong because that neighbor is offstage taking a smoke break. When the plot, such as it is, lifts one of the balls in the Newton's cradle and lets it go, that ball smacks into the next one with a dull thunk. Nothing else happens. Energy is destroyed.
Now let's get a more passionate response in there. After I found out my best beloved was canned, I tried to emotionally support her as best I could, and then the next day I told one of my co-workers that if he didn't start looking behind him when he backed up in a forklift, I was going to turn his head all the way around so that he could do it automatically. There's a little more to the story than just that, of course, and I'll put in a disclaimer here that I might be stretching a truth to tell a good story, but you see my point. The energy of what happened to one ball gets transmitted to the next one, and then that ball passes it along to the next. Energy doesn't disappear.
So that's how we make our characters a little more lifelike, and how we vent to the whole world that our spouse was treated in a way that we do not approve of.
And I'll write with that in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment