Monday, September 3, 2012

Something positive from something negative

At least twice a week, I wish that I had time to go back to school. The list of subjects that I want to know about includes (but isn't limited to) engineering, physics, chemistry, history, and psychology. The reason that I don't take the time is because as much as I want to learn about damn near everything, I want to write even more.
Psychology, in particular, seems fun, and it has a more direct application to writing than the other subjects. Way back when I first discovered the Horror Writer's Association, I browsed through their website and found an article written by Nancy Etchemendy entitled 'Writers and Depression.' You can read it here, http://www.horror.org/writetips/writetips-etchemendy.htm.
One of the points that the article makes is that the very nature of writing, that is, sitting on your butt all day, working alone, getting constant impersonal rejection, and the fact that few of your friends or family seem to understand that what you're doing is real work, can be pretty depressing by itself. Then there's the very real possibility that creative types are a bit more prone to it than most. I can't remember a solid source for that, so I'll leave it as a maybe.
Also a maybe is the odd little thought that the writing process goes through the same part of the brain that our negative emotions come from. I went through a bunch of my books trying to pinpoint where I heard that, and I couldn't find it. That's why it's a maybe. Expect to hear this subject again when I find the source.
I mention it because it feels right, especially for what I write. When I write the story about some coarse, greedy bastard who commits one evil too many and dooms himself to live in terror for the rest of his life, I'm tapping into the egotistical part of me that would gleefully crush such a person under my heel, and I'm remembering every person like that who I have encountered in real life. When I write about hate, pain, loss, dread, and rage so hot it boils your blood, I'm feeling them. Not the real things, understand, but some safe-looking version, emotion by proxy. Now consider the following:
I write damn near everywhere I can get away with it. In the car, on my lunch break, on my fifteen minute breaks, and often in between my breaks. (Sorry Larry) Despite the fact that I know perfectly well that I'm going to be interrupted, by the clock if nothing else, every single time something or someone interrupts me, I really want to scream at them to get the ---- out of my face. Maybe it's just part of their personae, but when I think about the writers that inspire me, the majority of them are known for some really negative traits. Stephen King is a recovering addict, Robert E. Howard committed suicide, and Harlan Ellison frequently channels his inner SOB. Richard Matheson once wrote a book where a magician explains that the audience is a hostile entity. Guess what? The writer can be one, too. If he or she does it right, you'll never even notice.
Yet after going through all that, look at the result. The Shining, The Bloodstained God, , Demon with a Glass Hand, and Hell House. Now if those don't put a smile on your face, I don't know what will.
Because it's worth sharing: A DJ giving a weather report for us down here in Houston today summed it up perfectly. 'Hotter than the hinges of hell.'
Still writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment